European media attended a Sony press event for the new G Master Lenses and update reports are being filed. Of those, Tech Radar went into the most detail, with a listicle of “10 things we never knew about (Sony) lenses.” Considering these are the first, all Sony lenses, it’s all new, but sure…have us click through 10 pages of content instead of one….the 10 are
- 10 things we never knew about (Sony) lenses
- Can any lens be sharp at f/1.4? — yes. The Sony 85mm f/1.4 GM is a revelation, with high contrast and super-crisp definition, even when opened right up at f/1.4.
- Sony’s 70-200mm f/2.8 OSS — this is an extremely important lens for Sony.
- Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 cutaway — high-precision XA elements “sharpness and clarity throughout zoom range
- Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 GM cutaway — another cutaway with 18 elements in 13 groups
Zeiss versus Sony – what’s going on? — ever notice the bokeh in film? That’s what Sony is after and achieved, because eventually a film and still camera will merge.
- G Master range explained — high resolution and beautiful bokeh.
- Zoom further — 1x and 2x.
- MTF at 50 line pairs per millimetre — now here’s where it gets real geeky, MFT measures how effectively a lens can capture detail at different resolutions. Sony flipped the dial to 11 and is testing their lenses at 50 line pairs per millimetre, compared to 10 and 30.
- Why are lenses so heavy? — massive pieces of glass moving with Swiss watch precision.
- Aperture rings are making a comeback — Like the compact, rangefinder design, retro is in with cameras. The Zeiss FE 1.4/35MM also has an Aperture ring and so does the RX1R II
Of Techradar’s 10 things, the MFT is the most interesting and we didn’t hear that in NYC (that I remember). It just shows how serious Sony is and again their technical prowess, which is entirely what the Rx1R IIis about too. When asked about the G Masters, I explain it much more simply as like shooting stills in HD, and the resolution is that fine.…
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.