On the list of podcasts I listen to is the Alpha Universe and last week, they uploaded a special edition about the a7R III. It’s with Chris Burkard, a legendary explorer/photographer/filmmaker. Listen for El-Deane Naude, a Sony staffer who’s behind the scenes at events. El Deane has helped me shoot better with Sony; mostly, on the settings side when handed a new demo to play with.
From the Special Edition description:
Chris Burkard had a chance to use the Sony α7R III prior to its introduction. Taking advantage of this special opportunity, Burkard along with fellow Sony Artisan Of Imagery Renan Ozturk took the camera on a whirlwind project through the desert southwest. In this special episode of the Alpha Universe podcast, we spoke with Burkard on the eve of the camera’s global launch to find out why it’s going to be his new workhorse camera.
And, you can listen via Google Play or iTunes. You can also watch the first-reactions on YouTube.
Like the a9 before it, the a7R III is bringing unprecedented features to mirrorless cameras and with much buzz because it’s a new class of camera that performs as well in the studio as the street.
The Sony a7R III is available for pre-order now from Amazon for $3198 and ships at the end of the month. Expect the first stock to sell out, so if this interests you, I suggest you order now.
Here’s why, in this rev, Sony addressed almost every complaint about their mirrorless cameras. Here are the highlights:
- 35mm Full-Frame 42.4 MP Back-Illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS Image Sensor with Evolved Image Processing
- Continuous Shooting at up to 10 fps with either Silent Shooting or Mechanical Shutter and full Auto Focus/Auto Exposure tracking
- 399 phase-detection AF points covering 68% of image area, 425 contrast AF points and approximately 2 times more effective Eye AF
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization with a 5.5 step shutter speed advantage
- High-Resolution 4K Movie Shooting with full pixel readout and no pixel binning
- Completely redesigned for professionals, including upgraded Auto Focus, Dual SD Card Slots, Extended Battery Life, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1) USB Type-C™ Terminal and more
- Compact, Lightweight body at only 23 oz
The 6th bullet is for the pros, the 1st and 2nd are for pretty much everyone else and that’s the main point. The Sony a7R III is a 42mp camera, so the resolution is traditionally for portrait work but it’s fast enough for use in all situations and with stunning results.
As I said, a new class of camera.
Feature photo by Chris Burkard
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.