The interface for Capture One Pro is a bit more daunting than Lightroom, but the program is equally deep, providing very pre use controls over common editing functions, and tools that are not available in Lightroom. For instance, the color editor allows for picking dozens of individual color points and adjusting them globally or locally. The interface for Capture One Pro is non-modal, meaning there’s no need to jump between “modules” to perform work—files can be moved between folders in the same panel as editing takes place.
As I’ve shared in a few posts since I started using version 9, the big driver for me to switch applications is less a feature-by-feature run down, but I just can’t switch modes anymore in Lightroom. The disruption to my workflow and time it takes with a large library or files was just too much. David also notes how customizable the interface is
Capture One Pro emphasize a professional workflow, with the ability to automatically import images into sub folders folders based on variables (import into separate folders for cameras, or into folders based on capture date, for example), and to batch process output. These customizable output tools allow photographers to quickly export to multiple sizes and locations at once. Export a high res folder of TIFF files for a client while also creating web-resolution files with watermarks. Like importing tools, the export tools can also work with variables, to create folders and file naming to match the conventions required by a client.
I haven’t got into that yet, but when I do there are many resources to learn from. Short of sending a rep to your studio that’ll hold your hand, Capture One has a very robust video tutorial library and knowledge base. So far, anything I’ve got stuck on, like clone stamping, I’ve learned how to do in a tutorial.
The full press releases is below and you can order Capture One 10 direct from Phase One.
Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 10
Ready for the Future of Image Editing – A Faster, More Powerful Experience
COPENHAGEN, December 1, 2016 – Phase One today released Capture One Pro 10, a major release of the world’s premiere raw conversion and image editing software. Designed to support wide ranging workflows of both professional and passionate photographers, Capture One Pro is known and trusted for rendering the finest image color and detail from more than 400 digital camera models. Now, based on customer feedback, Capture One Pro 10 puts superior user experience center stage – with interface improvements, under-the-hood tuning, and exciting new features that furnish the fastest, most reliable and most powerful performance yet.
What’s New with Capture One Pro 10:
- Enhanced User Experience. Faster browsing, zooming, panning, and ease in switching between images even at 100 percent view. Also, a new default workspace offers a more intuitive experience for new users, with examples for getting started.
- Greater control, with a three-stage image sharpening process:
- A new lens tool option corrects lost sharpness caused by diffraction;
- User-defined creative sharpening (utilizing a new Halo Suppression slider and a new blending algorithm) allows the photographer the option to sharpen an entire image, or just various elements within it;
- User-defined output sharpening in the recipe tool. For print sharpening, users can also specify the distance from which the final output image should be viewed.
- On-screen proofing. An enhanced proof mode takes the guesswork out of the raw conversion process. From the viewer panel, users can now simulate the final size, resolution, color, compression artifacts and sharpening of images. This is especially useful for live assessment of files – particularly small files for the web and for optimizing image compression quality.
- A look into the future of image editing: Inspired by video grading processes, users can now access Capture One Pro directly through a Tangent panel system. This fully integrated panel is literally a new interface into image editing – for deep dive color and image adjustment –– allowing fast, multiple input commands simultaneously, while viewing the master monitor as the editor “feels” input into the application.
- A camera focus tool module for tethered cameras — especially useful for product, still life, macro, and Cultural Heritage photography projects.
“We have developed Capture One Pro 10 to greatly improve users’ experience so they can achieve the results they want much faster and with greater confidence,” said James Johnson, software product manager, Phase One. “Image adjustment options are now at a whole new level. We believe that with this release, we are delivering the most powerful, responsive, and user customizable image processor available.”
The Complete List of New Features:
- Three-phase sharpening tools (see above)
- Output proofing (see above)
- New default and intuitive workspace (see above)
- Camera focus tool module for tethered cameras (see above)
- Tangent panel: full integration (see above)
- New filter option: search by orientation of images
- Optimization of Jpeg output for size/quality
- Move folders in catalogs
- Auto masking extended to any editable file type (including Xtrans)
- Improved compressed RAW and Fuji support
- Hardware acceleration – OpenCL is now enabled by default
- Stripe reduction LCC for 100MP
- Optimized LCC creation
- Computer ID in license for activation management
- Apple script – new properties (Mac only)
New camera and lens support
New camera support includes: Olympus E-M1 mkll, Sony RX100M5, Sony A6500 and Sony A99M2.
New lens profile support includes: Sony FE 70-200 mm F4 G OSS, Sony 70-200 mm F2.8 G, and Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
For a complete list of newly supported cameras and lenses, please go to: www.phaseone.com/download.
Availability and Pricing
Owners of Capture One Pro 8 and 9 may upgrade for 99 USD or 99 EUR. For customers who have purchased Capture One Pro 9 since November 1, 2016, Phase One is offering a grace period, exempting them from the upgrade fee. Eligible customers can download their upgrade today at phaseone.com/download and reuse their license key.
New customers can purchase Capture One Pro 10 for 299 USD or 279 EUR. Capture One Pro is also available by subscription. Capture One Pro (8 and 9) subscribers can simply download the new Capture One Pro 10 release. A single-user subscription is 15 USD / 12 EUR per month for a 12-month plan. Please see all subscription options at www.phaseone.com/store.
About Phase One
Phase One A/S is the world-leading provider of medium format digital photography systems and imaging solutions for professional photographers and industrial applications. Established in the early 1990s, Phase One is a true digital photography pioneer with a passionate commitment to image quality excellence and creative freedom. Phase One’s engineering and design expertise has produced imaging breakthroughs from high-resolution camera systems to advanced software for better photographic workflows and raw file editing. Phase One’s understanding and ability to optimize hardware and software integration underscores their award winning Capture One Pro software – widely preferred by professional photographers.
Phase One’s industrial division focuses on imaging accuracy for industrial applications ranging from aerial image acquisition to cultural heritage preservation – from mapping the globe, to protecting priceless works of art and documents.
Today, with control over all aspects of the medium format camera system supply chain, Phase One is uniquely positioned to help photographers and imaging experts everywhere stand out above the competition and realize their creative visions without compromise.
Based in Copenhagen Denmark and embracing the high demand of Scandinavian design excellence, Phase One is dedicated to delivering the best image quality and user experience. With offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tel Aviv, and with its expert teams of global partners, Phase One is committed to serving and supporting its customers worldwide.
Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
To connect with Capture One Pro, please go to:
Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/CaptureOnePro/
Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/CaptureOnePro/
YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/c/phaseone
LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/phase-one
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.