The first reviews are starting to trickle in for the new Sony FE 28mm f/2 lens, which is already shipping in Asia and in Germany. The website Background and Blur has posted a review of the new lens.
From my rudimentary sharpness test, the new 28mm shows impressive sharpness. Perhaps not quite as sharp as the Loxia, but pretty close nevertheless. Keep in mind that the Sony FE 35/2.8 puts down a seemingly poor performance because its distortion is heavily corrected in software. This is normal for very compact lenses, and it affects the corner resolution.
The site likes the new lens, though notes that it’s not as well built as Sony’s Zeiss-branded optics. Indeed, the samples on the site show it’s a very impressive lens.
Sony’s US site has listed the date for preorder for each of the four new FE lenses announced recently.
Sony FE 24-240mm
March 15, 2015
Zeiss FE 35mm
April 12, 2015
Sony FE 28mm
May 2, 2015
Sony FE 90mm
July 5, 2015
The lenses are also available for preorder on the Sony website.
- Sony Distagon 35mm f/1.4 T FE ZA Standard Prime FE (SEL35F14z)
- Sony 90mm f/2.8-22 Macro G OSS FE (SEL90M28G)
- Sony 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OOS Standard Zoom Lens FE (SEL24240)
- Sony 28mm f/2-22mm Standard Prime Lens
- Sony 35mm f/3.5-22 Fisheye Converter
- [amazon text=Amazon&template=carousel&asin=B00U29GRQA, B00U29GNEG, B00U29GNC8,, B00U29GNEG, B00U29GNBO]
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sigma lenses attached like the 14mm 1.4 Art. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.