South Korean Samyang has announced the new Samyang 100mm f/2.8 ED UMC Macro lens, which will be available in both Sony A and Sony E mounts, and also for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Samsung NX, and Fujifilm.
According to the company, the lens, which is a manual focus telephoto lens, has High Refractive and extra low dispersion (ED) elements to reduce optical aberrations and uses the company’s Ultra Multi Coating on surfaces for reduced scattering of light and diffusion. Nine aperture blades should create a smooth out-of-focus region.
The lens is a 1:1 magnifying macro lens with “vivid color and soft out-focusing” that can also be used for landscape and portrait work. The lens will cost $599 and is available for preorder on Amazon.
[amazon template=iframe image&asin=B00VBHS9ZE]
The lens is also available in a Cine version, for videographers.
Samyang also brands their lenses under the Rokinon name, and the lens is identical whether it’s called Samyang or Rokinon.
Samyang Press Release
Focusing on the Essence of Nature
The real art designed for ultimate close-ups
- – Macro Telephoto Manual Focus Lens
- – Bright F2.8 aperture
- – High refractive (HR) and extra low dispersion lens (ED)
- – Ultra Multi Coating (UMC) technology of Samyang Optics
- – Circular aperture with 9 blades
Macro Telephoto Manual Focus Lens
Samyang Optics 100mm F2.8 ED UMC MACRO is a macro telephoto manual focus lens designed for full frame sensor sizes. The maximum close-up magnification is 1:1. This macro lens with vivid color and soft out-focusing is the best lens for close-up images of flower and insects. It also can be used as a 100mm telephoto lens for landscapes and portraits.
Samyang 100mm F2.8 ED UMC MACRO has a low F number of F2.8. You may control the lens precisely when shooting under various exposure environment including relatively dark or too bright situations.
This lens features 15 lenses in 12 groups especially including a high refractive lens (HR) and extra low dispersion lens (ED) to minimize color aberration and unnecessary light dispersion in order to offer high resolution throughout the image. Ultra Multi Coating (UMC) of Samyang Optics is used to optimize the light penetration and minimizes flare and ghost. With such optical construction, it has 0.307m of minimum focal length to film subjects in a very near distance.
There are 9 aperture blades designed to be almost as a full circle when aperture is closed which expresses starlike ray clearly and beautifully. The frame of the lens is compact and solid since it is made of high-strength aluminum alloy so you can create trustworthy images. Also, detachable petal-shaped lens hood minimizes flare and ghost by sheltering lens from unnecessary lights.
Available for 10 camera mounts: Canon EOS, Nikon AE, Pentax K, Sony ∝, Canon M, Fujifilm X, Samsung NX, Sony E, FT, MFT.
- Macro Telephoto Manual Focus LensThe maximum close-up magnification is 1:1. It also can be used as 100mm telephoto lens for various purposes such as landscapes and portraits.
- Bright F2.8 apertureF2.8 aperture creates fantastic image with shallow depth and smooth focus gear ring allows precise adjustment.
- High refractive (HR) and extra low dispersion lens (ED)High refractive lens and extra low dispersion lens minimize unnecessary light dispersion and chromatic aberration effectively to produce excellent image quality.
- Ultra Multi Coating (UMC) technology of Samyang OpticsSamyang Optics uses UMC technology to reduce flare and ghost as much as possible and get clear and fresh color image.
- Circular aperture with 9 blades9 aperture blades create almost a full circle when closed and express ray beautifully as starlight.
My daily shooter is Sony A1 with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.