Yesterday, I shared a post about shooting landscapes and mentioned the E Mount Tamron 28-75mm (Model A036). Today, Tamron announced this high-performance, high-speed zoom lens is shipping in May for $799 and works with Sony’s AF features and in-camera lens corrections.
- Fast Hybrid AF
- Eye AF
- Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
- In-camera lens correction (shading, chromatic aberration, distortion)
- Camera-based lens unit firmware updates
The second bullet is Sony’s killer feature.
Fans of Tamron should expect this new zoom lens to deliver superb optical performance, including both outstanding image quality and beautiful background blur effects (bokeh) only possible with a fast aperture.
Consistent with the weight savings of a mirrorless system, the A036 weighs a mere 19 ounces and has a minimum object distance of 7.5 in at the wide angle zoom setting.
The Model A036 also incorporates an all-new high-speed and precise AF driving system. The RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) balances speed and silent operation, making it perfect for both video and still image capture. For portraits, the bokeh will bring the subjects into focus and the wide angle can capture the scene during a sunrise or set.
For the outdoors, the lens includes durability features that are moisture, fingerprint, and dirt resistant.
- Superb optical performance, including both outstanding image quality and beautiful background blur effects (bokeh), provided by fast F/2.8 aperture. The Model A036 features a new design that leverages the advanced image quality of the latest full-frame mirrorless cameras. To balance beautiful bokeh with high image quality, the optical formula (15 elements in 12 groups) includes a special XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion) element, LD (Low Dispersion) element, GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) element and two hybrid aspherical lens elements in the optimal arrangement to correct aberrations and reduce the overall lens size. The lens also employs Tamron’s BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) Coating that boasts exceptional anti-reflection performance throughout the entire zoom range, even when shooting in backlit conditions. In addition, incorporating the nine-blade circular diaphragm design, the lens will perform in versatile situation, providing beautiful soft portrayal at wide open aperture to a clear and sharp image when stopped down.
- Comfortably lightweight (19.4 oz.) and compact (4.6 in). Extra emphasis was placed on creating a high speed, fast aperture zoom lens in a compact and lightweight design because standard-range zooms are generally the most frequently used. Weighing only 19.4 oz. with a total length of just 4.6 in., the A036 enables photographers to enjoy the mobility provided by a compact, lightweight, full-frame mirrorless camera in all situations from casual snapshots to stunning portraits and dramatic landscape photography.
- Minimum Object Distance of 7.5 in.; Working Distance 2.24 in. The Model A036 breaks from the convention that the MOD of a zoom lens must be fixed throughout the focal range and achieves a MOD of 7.5 in. at the 28mm wide-angle end which delivers a maximum image magnification of 1:2.9. The working distance of just 2.24 in. from the front element allows photographers to enjoy close-up shooting that emphasizes the sense of perspective unique to wide angles. At the 75mm telephoto end, the 15.3 in. MOD provides an image magnification of 1:4, thereby enabling close-up shooting with a pleasantly blurred background similar to a macro lens.
- All-new “RXD” stepping motor AF unit is excellently quiet and therefore perfect for video capture. The AF drive incorporates a sensor that accurately detects the position of the lens and an RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) stepping motor unit optimized for AF control. This achieves quick and precise AF operation, allowing users to maintain pin-sharp focus on continually moving subjects or when filming video. Additionally, the AF motor is exceedingly quiet, virtually eliminating extraneous AF drive sounds during video recording.
- Consistent with Tamron’s exciting, ergonomically superb next-generation design. The Model A036 features a mirrorless-oriented design that adheres to Tamron’s new “human touch” lens design concept. As signified by the Luminous Gold brand ring, careful attention to detail has produced an optimum shape reflecting the characteristic look of a Tamron-branded lens, whether on its own or attached to a camera body. This design emphasizes consistent brand identity combined with ease of operation.
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating for weather protection. Environmental seals are located at the lens mount area and other critical locations to prevent infiltration of moisture and/or rain drops and afford Moisture-Resistant Construction. This feature provides an additional layer of protection when shooting outdoors under adverse weather conditions. Also, the front surface of the lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that has excellent water- and oil-repellant qualities. The lens surface is easier to wipe clean and is less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, moisture or oily fingerprints, allowing for much easier maintenance.
The 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) will be available at Tamron’s authorized USA retailers on May 24th for $799.…