While I was at Kando Trip 2.0, my friends at DP Review awarded the a7iii Gold, gave it an 89% overall score, and said it’s
The best camera you can buy for under $2000.
That’s quite an endorsement. And, based on these key features
- 24MP full frame BSI CMOS sensor
- 93% autofocus coverage (693 phase detection points, 425 for contrast detection)
- Oversampled 4K/24p video taken from full width 6K (cropped-in 5K for 30p)
- In-body image stabilization
- 10 fps continuous shooting
- 2.36m dot OLED viewfinder, 0.78x magnification
- AF joystick
- Larger, ‘Z-type’ battery (CIPA rated to 710 shots)
- Dual SD memory card slots
- USB 3.1 Type C
Read the DPR in-depth review here. When the a7iii launched in Vegas, I heard much of what the DPR crew had to say and after spending hours in their studio and around Seattle where I’m based, it’s no surprise they’d consider it the best camera in that price range.
The 3rd version in the line, the a7iii has been completely updated with a new sensor and body. Most importantly, the image quality is on par with its more expensive siblings. What you need to know is (besides that’s me in the middle of the photo showing silent shutter artifacts)
- The a7 III is among the best low-light cameras on the market
- Great sharpness, at the expense of some moiré patterns
- Excellent dynamic range
- Best JPEG noise reduction and sharpening on the market
- Color is improving, particularly skintones
The 5th bullet is the most important because DPR compares it to the Canon 5D and they consider it maybe the new D750, the camera most recommended to enthusiasts and semi pros.
In terms of JPEG color, the red patch looks incredibly similar to the Canon EOS 6D Mark II (which itself looks very similar to the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, still one of our color benchmarks).
So the a7iii costs under $2K with color and performance rivaling Canon and Nikon.
Make sense to me why it’s selling so well.
The a7 III is shipping now from a retailer near you or on Amazon for $1198 with various zoom or prime bundles.
Sony A7 III Bundles
- a7 III w/ 24-105mm, $3,296.00
- a7 III w/ 24-70mm, $3,096.00
- a7 III w/ 28-70mm. $2,198.00
- a7 III w/ 50mm. $2,196.00
My daily shooter is Sony A1 with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.