My friend Ted Forbes just uploaded a video that captures much of what we’ve been discussing of late and that’s professionalism. The Art of Photography: We’re Better Than This video is explained in this quote
It’s time we had a conversation about the content we’re producing. What we make as YouTubers, what we put on websites and how we react to this content. We have a responsibility. Photography is a beautiful thing, but we need to start being more responsible when we talk about it.
In addition Jaron, also a friend, joins him. The topics covered include the Afghan Girl controversy and more. Ted’s conclusion is the problem is all about the views v. the work.
Here’s the index
- 04:14 What Is Investigative Journalism?
- 09:40 In Defense of Steve McCurry and the Afghan Girl
- 12:49 Why sourcing is important
- 15:47 What was McCurry accused of?
- 19:25 What is a Hit Job?
- 20:55 What if something unethical did happen?
- 23:21 What is a redaction?
- 24:32 The responsibility of websites
- 27:35 The Problem with YouTube
- 30:49 YouTube pays very little – you NEED views
- 34:33 Its okay to be wrong
- 35:26 The Monster YouTube Has Created
- 37:40 Its okay to be wrong – but own it
- 39:02 Influencers have responsibility
- 40:58 What viewers need to do
- 45:10 That time Ted almost quit YouTube
- 49:18 We all have a responsibility
Ultimately, without much of a YouTube presence, what I’ll add to the conversation is with influence comes responsibility. I learned that early on and above all when writing for name brand outlets.…