The Sony FDR-AX43/B is a Handycam with Balanced Optical SteadyShot. That’s a built-in gimbal mechanism, which provides the ability to capture smooth, natural high-quality video footage. Sony developed the FDR-AX43/B for content creators and vloggers.
I’ll take the Handycam on a bike ride soon enough and share more about the after a shoot. Priced under $899, a 4K camcorder with 3″ flip screen and a 20x optical zoom lens that doesn’t require a gimbal seems like a really good value.
The gimbal works at full zoom. Sony didn’t say in the press release, but I’m guessing the gimbal works while zooming too.
Sony Handycam with Balanced Optical SteadyShot
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot with a unique built-in-gimbal mechanism for smooth footage while walking, running or at full zoom
- ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* zoom lens with a wide angle of 26.8mm
- 20x optical zoom and Clear Image Zoom of 30x for 4K and 40x for HD
- 1/2.5-type Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor[iv] and BIONZ X™ image processing engine delivering excellent image quality, even in low-light conditions
- High-bitrate shooting (100Mbps for XAVC S 4K, 50Mbps for XAVC S HD)
- Fast Intelligent AF for quick and precise subject capture
- Directional 3-capsule mic for advanced sound quality
- 3” Flip-screen for selfie shooting
- New Highlight Movie Maker creates short video clips in-camera to share instantly without any need for post-production editing. Easily share MP4 movies on social media sites via smartphone.
- Long battery life provides up to 235 mins continuous recording time with the supplied battery (AC adaptor provides additional power supply).
The FDR-AX43/B will ship this month and is priced at approximately $849.99 US. Read more about at Sony.…
My daily shooter is Sony A1 with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.