This morning in New York, Sony announced the a7r IV with next-level performance. Like, the focusing power of the a9 in a high-res model. Above all, it has AF/AE tracking, Eye-AF, and a 61MP sensor. After that, the new body captures at 10 FPS for 68 images per burst.
In addition, for the first time in a Sony camera body, Real-Time AF for movies is possible. There’s even more: Sony also announced a new digital microphone via the hotshoe.
Sony is like the Willy Wonka of camera tech. The a7r IV follows the 600mm announcement just last month. What’s exciting about this announcement is it’s Sony’s highest resolution full-frame camera to date. Expect the a7R IV to deliver stunning image quality with high resolution and wide dynamic range.
During the launch, Neal Manowitz, deputy president of Imaging Product and Solutions Americas at Sony Electronics said
We are continuing to drive innovation, break boundaries and redefine the expectations of digital camera performance.
The new Alpha 7R IV combines medium format-level image quality with high-speed shooting, extremely fast focusing and an extensive list of upgrades to design, connectivity and usability. This will allow professional photographers, videographers to capture content in ways that were simply not possible before.
Sony Announced a7R IV Key Features
- 35mm full-frame 61.0 MP back-illuminated sensor.
- 15-stop dynamic range.
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 10 fps with full AF / AE tracking.
- 567 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering 74% of image area.
- 425 contrast AF points.
- Real-time Eye AF for movie recording and advanced Real-time Tracking plus Real-time Eye AF for still image recording.
- APS-C crop mode at 26.2MP.
- 5.76 million dot UXGA OLED viewfinder.
- Upgraded connectivity.
- 4K movie recording.
- Multi Interface Shoe with digital audio interface.
- Improved grip and button layout.
The a7r IV costs $3500 and ships in September. Preorder July 18th from B&H.…
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.