The Sony FX3 is now shipping in the US. B&H has them in stock. So does Amazon and a camera store near you for $3398. Launched last month, the FX3 is a compact, full-frame cinema camera.
Like the Rx1R II, the FX3 (and a1) is a statement from Sony on what forms mirrorless cameras can take. In this instance, the body is for cine rigs. Additionally, the Sony drone.
The FX3, along with FX9 and FX6 Cinema Line cameras, allows users to create a cinematic look without post-production using the S-Cinetone color matrix. That’s the color science used in Sony’s flagship VENICE camera. S-Cinetone delivers natural mid-tones, plus soft colors and smooth highlights that are essential to creating a cinematic look. Attach a G master lens, like the 35mm, to the FX3 and you’ll also get the creamy bokeh. Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at the FX3.
Sony Announces the FX3 Cinema Highlights
- Compact, lightweight body design for hand-held shooting, gimbal, and drone-mounted work
- Multiple 1/4-20 UNC threaded mounting points to easily attach compatible accessories
- Detachable XLR handle unit with two XLR/TRS audio inputs and one 3.5mm stereo jack
- S-Cinetone look also used in FX9 and FX6 Cinema Line cameras
- Built-in cooling fan enables effective heat dissipation to support uninterrupted 4K 60p recording
- Records up to 4K 120p
- 10.2 megapixel full-frame back-illuminated CMOS Exmor R sensor and BIONZ XR image processing engine
- Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO expandable to 409,600 for very low light conditions and 15+ stops of dynamic range
- Fast Hybrid AF (Autofocus), Touch Tracking (real-time tracking), and Real-time Eye AF, also used in other Alpha cameras
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization with “Active Mode” supports handheld movie shooting
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.