The release of the Think Tank Backlight Elite 45L is well timed. I just got back from a shoot with Tony Gale at Mount Rainer National Park. While there shooting, both of us talked about the right bag for national park landscapes and I know I don’t have one.
I do have the best-ever bag for what I shoot (it’s a messenger bag I’ll review in a bit) and for travel the Mission Workshop Rhake + Capsule is my go to.
Mount Rainer capped a three-day weekend that started with the tulip fields. In farm country, I could’ve used a bag designed for the outdoors. Not to also carry a set of axes with bodies and lenses, but a heavy-duty tripod
With Tony, the most useful feature would’ve been the stability. A backpack designed for trekking would’ve helped. We walked down a still-snowed in valley to a waterfall. Just like this MindShift’s pro in their product photo. The Think Tank Backlight Elite 45L has an internal frame to keep it steady.
From Mindshift’s PR:
Get deeper into the backcountry with the MindShift BackLight Elite 45L backpack from Think Tank Photo. 45 liters of internal volume provides ample room. Combine photo/personal gear and a dedicated laptop/tablet. External attachment points accommodate adventure equipment.
Sounds good. The BackLight Elite 45L features YKK AquaGuard zippers. Waterproof/tearproof sailcloth, robust lumbar padding, and a quick-dry back panel for increased ventilation too. And, like MindShift’s other BackLight backpacks, rear-panel access adds security when traveling since your camera gear is protected behind your back.
- Storm-resistant construction with YKK® AquaGuard® zippers and waterproof/tearproof Sailcloth
- Superior Fit: Robust lumbar padding, hip-hugging waist belt, quick-dry back panel, and foam ridges for increased ventilation
- Back and top panel access to all of your camera gear, allowing you to work out of your bag without getting your harness dirty or wet
- Aluminum internal frame supports the load and keeps it in place
- Dedicated compartments fit up to a 17” laptop and a 10” tablet
- Meets most international and U.S. carry-on requirements*
- Advanced Airflow: Dual-density, honeycomb mesh shoulder straps
- Includes tripod/monopod mounting system on front or side
- Trekking capacity! Front pockets totaling 17L carry personal gear for a day’s outing: extra layers, a jacket, food, etc.
- Hydration reservoir ready (reservoir not included)
- 2 large water bottle pockets with cinch cord fit 32 oz. water bottles
- Snowboard or ski carry with tuck-away, protected edge lash straps
- Top-lid converts into a belt pack with the removable waist belt
- Waterproof, heavy-duty Tarpaulin base
- Seam-sealed, brown colored rain cover blends in with the environment
- Removable camera compartment with emergency shoulder straps to avoid gate check
- Removable waist belt for ease when traveling
- Expandable capacity on all five sides with daisy chain, ice axe loops and additional lash points
- Compatible with the MindShift Tripod Suspension Kit, Filter Nest/Hive & Switch Case
Sony A7R II attached to 24–70mm f/2.8 GM, GoPro Hero 5, DJI Mavic Pro, Mavic Controller, Filter Nest Mini, A7R II attached to 16–35mm f/4. The Think Tank Backlight Elite 45L retails for $399.…
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.