This week, Sony released an α9 II firmware update. Firmware 2.00 responds to the needs of news and sports photographers. There are several new functions and enhancements. Most important is the ability to protect the sensor from dust and debris by closing the mechanical shutter when changing lenses.
Here’s a quick rundown of α9 II Firmware Update 2.00 (also see Alpha U’s quick guide to Sony firmware updates).
α9 II Firmware Update Benefits
- Adds the Hi Frequency flicker function – This function allows you to reduce the impact of flickering from artificial light sources (such as digital signage, electronic signboards, or LED lights) by setting the shutter speed more finely than usual
- Improves the Face/Eye Priority in the AF function – When set to a custom key, the Face/Eye Priority in the AF function can be turned on or off each time it is pressed. If it is already set to custom key, you can use it with the new method of operation
- Improves the Remote Camera Tool function – Adds support for displaying Focus Frame for almost all scenes including tracking AF. (Note: Version 2.00 (or later) of the Remote Camera Tool is required. Please update to the latest version.)
- Improves the FTP transfer function
- Adds a function to display the MAC address as a QR code
- Adds a function to close the shutter when you turn off the camera to prevent dust or debris from adhering to the image sensor when you change lenses
- Allows you to save or load the customized camera settings on My MENU
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
My daily shooter is Sony A1 with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.