A 50mm F1.4 G Master launched yesterday. I’m back in Seattle after shooting with the 20-70mm for a week. Sony announces another lens. It’s their 72nd and 17th G Master since 2016. And a 50 1.4. It joins the Zeiss 50 ($1498) and a G Master 1.2 launched in 2021.
Much has happened in the past seven years with lenses. A fifty 1.4 offers an optimum balance of aperture and mobility. It is an ideal option for a wide variety of uses. Those include still and video including portraiture, landscapes, travel, and weddings.
Here is Sony’s upload about the 50mm F1.4 G Master lens. Preorders start today from my friends at B&H ($1298) and a retailer near you.
As you’d expect with a G Master, the lens is compact, light, and fast. It’ll also offer creamy bokeh and extraordinary resolution. The high performance focus matches my Alpha One with two XD Linear Motors. Internal focusing has a responsive feel and a minimum distance of 16″ means you can use the 50 for close ups.
50mm F1.4 G Master Lens Resolution and Bokeh
- Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements minimize aberrations and distortions while also providing outstanding resolution and sharpness.
- One ED (extra-low dispersion) glass element effectively eliminates chromatic aberration and color fringing to produce a high degree of clarity and color accuracy.
- Applied to specific elements, a Nano AR Coating II greatly reduces reflective light to decrease ghosting and flare for increased contrast and color accuracy in strong lighting conditions.
- Bright f/1.4 maximum aperture provides a very shallow depth of field for pleasing background blur when using selective focus techniques.
- Ideal for portraits, a circular 11-blade aperture produces deep and dreamy bokeh.
- Beyond depth of field control and pleasing bokeh, the lens’s f/1.4 aperture also allows for handheld shooting in low-light conditions.
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sony lenses attached like the FE 20mm F1.8. Find more gear recommendations in our shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.