Perhaps you’re wondering what the difference between the Sony A7II and A7III is? Most noteworthy is Sony launched the III as a considerable upgrade from the II. The press considers the III a value even at full price.
Above all at $999 for the kit, the a7 II is the most mirrorless performance you can get for the money. That’s because even a generation older in Sony’s line, the a7 II has better Eye AF performance than the just-launched Nikon Z7/Z6 or Canon’s EOS R. To sum it up, there’s a better sensor too and the a7 II kit costs hundreds.
The sale is 38% off the regular price.
Eye AF with Face Detect is Sony’s killer feature. It’s how I randomly shot a wedding once in Vegas and got useable photos. Considering weddings, we posted this story about Marc Weisberg shooting a wedding with the a7s and a7 II. The story is from 2015, but still relevant to how versatile the a7 II was at the time and still is.
If you don’t need 4k and your workflow isn’t overly limited by one SD card slot, then I’d encourage you to order the kit now.
The a7 II is as a great camera with a kit lens for those getting into full frame, a backup body, and second daily shooter. At that low of a price ($999 on Amazon), Sony’s retailers will likely sell through their stock.
Here are the differences between the a7 II and A7 III in a table. For a thorough comparison of the two versions, read this story from Digital Rev who posted about the upgrade from the II to III this March.
|Sony A7ii||Sony A7iii|
|Sensor||Full-frame (35.8 x 23.9mm)||Full-frame (35.9 x 24mm)|
|Processor||Bionz X||Bionz X|
|Continuous shooting||50 JPEG/20RAW||177JPEG/89RAW|
|AF points||117 phase-detect||693 phase-detect|
|Image stabilisation||Yes; 4.5-stops||Yes, 5-stops|
|LCD monitor||3.0in 1228k-dot||3.0in 921k-dot touchscreen|
|Video resolution||Full HD (1920×1080)||4K (3840 x 2160)|
|Battery life||350 shots||710 shots|
|Storage||SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-I)||Dual card slots, Slot 1: SD(UHS-I/II compliant), Slot 2: Memory Stick Duo/SD(UHS-I)|
|Dimensions||126.9 x 95.7 x 59.7mm||126.9 x 95.6 x 73.7mm|
|Date announced||20th Nov 2014||27th February 2018|
a7 II Specs
- 24.3MP Full-Frame Exmor CMOS Sensor BIONZ X Image Processor
- 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
- Enhanced Fast Hybrid AF and 5 fps Burst
- Full HD XAVC S Video and S-Log2 Gamma 3.0″ 1,228.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
- XGA 2.36M-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- Weather-Resistant Magnesium Alloy Body
- Refined Grip & Robust Lens Mount Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
The 28-70mm combines impressive optical performance with lightweight, compact convenience, making it an ideal everyday lens. The 28-70mm zoom range covers landscapes to portraits and snapshots.
- Lightweight, compact 35mm Full Frame standard zoom lens
- 28-70mm zoom range and F3.5-5.6 aperture
- Built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization
- 7-blade circular aperture for beautiful defocusing
- Dust and moisture-resistant design